Monday, April 21, 2014

Grandmas in the Church

I had two grandmothers that influenced my life.  Both were Christians and loved the Lord.  My father’s mother had a sharp tongue.  Though grandpa loved everyone, Grandma spoke negatively and had a tendency to be prejudice.  My mother’s mother was the opposite.  She loved everyone, was tender hearted and made each grandchild feel like he or she were her favorite, without stirring up jealousy in anyone.  

One day I asked grandma Buell how she maintained such a loving spirit about her when others seemed sharp edged.  She said, “You can get old or grow old.  I choose to grow old.”  In other words you can let your difficult experiences, your pains in aging affect your attitude or you can choose to allow God to control your attitude.


If you have been involved in church for many years, you have most likely seen many unhealthy behaviors both in the congregation and in leaders.  We can choose to let those poor behaviors make us bitter, or choose to keep an attitude of compassion, honoring truth and offering forgiveness; keeping reverence for the things of God (Titus 2:3).