Friday, December 20, 2013

Enemies in the Work Place

Our goals are not based on gain for ourselves, but on godliness (1 Timothy 6:11).  My tendency is to want everyone to be pleased with me.  A mild case of this desire can be of some benefit, however to want peace at any cost comes with a high price tag.  When others are ungodly in their relationships with us, those of us who suffer from this need to be liked are tempted to placate, to smooth over rough spots which can translate into compromising the truth.

The Psalmist wrote, "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies" (Psalm 23:5).  The problem many of us have with that verse is that we have enemies.  Having people determined to harm us is disconcerting at best.  We need to remember Jesus said. "I say these things that in me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation, but be encouraged for I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

We do not know how our small battle will play out in his design.  But we know he will accomplish what he has purposed for us (Psalm 138:8).