Monday, July 30, 2012

Flint

"And he, bearing his cross, went to a place called The Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha, where they crucified him, and two others with him, one on either side, and Jesus in the center" (John 19:171-8).

Jesus had told his disciples, "He who does not take his cross and follow me, is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:38). "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works" (Matthew 16:24-27).

Isaiah gives us a picture of Jesus crucifixion in chapter 50 of his book. We learn about Jesus self talk as he carried his cross, "For the Lord GOD will help Me; Therefore I will not be disgraced; Therefore I have set My face like a flint, And I know that I will not be ashamed. He is near who justifies Me" (7-8).

There are times when we must make a determined decision to set our face like flint iin order to follow him regardless of the cost. God the Father will not leave us alone. He will be with us.