Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Braided Crown

Isaiah said Jesus was not handsome so that people were not naturally attracted to him (Isaiah 53:2). Peter describes Jesus as rejected by men. Those who loved God loved Jesus, but most people turned away from this strange man who talked about eating his flesh and drinking his blood (John 6).

The summer of my fourth year in school, my father tried out for a little church in the mountains of California. There was a lady in the congregation that wore her hair in a braid across the crown of her head. I was fascinated by her wrinkles and unattractive appearance. Yet four years later when my father resigned the church, I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. The light of her character changed the light in my eyes.

She was one of God's "living stones" part of the glorious building of God (1 Peter 2:4-5).