Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Not Powerless

When we find ourselves surrounded by sorrow or deadly force, how can we give thanks(1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)? It may appear there is nothing for which to be thankful. Paul and Silas bare backs were beaten Roman style with strips of flesh hanging off their backs. Then they were placed in stocks. This happened because the people to whom they were preaching turned on them and forced their arrest (Acts 16:16-25).

When midnight rolled around they were giving thanks by singing hymns to God and praying. They had turned their focus away from thoughts of being powerless, persecuted and betrayed and turned their thoughts toward the love, mercy and power of God.

"Thank you Father that you love me and never leave me destitute in any circumstance. I am not in the worlds hands. I am under your care. If you see fit to allow me to suffer, it is for your glory and my good. You are able to deliver me, and you are able to sustain me to the end of my life. I choose to trust you and your love."