Wednesday, February 27, 2013

One of My Worst Days

God sets us free from the control of sin (Romans 8:3-4), which changes our desires so that we want to please him out of love (Psalm 37:4; John 14:23). That takes dedication and commitment on our part.

Paul addresses the issue of our efforts to walk holy. "But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another..." (Colossians 3:8-9a).

The greatest anger I experienced was when my first husband left me for a friend of ours. He said she needed his protection because she was spiritually weak. I told him I was weak too and used unholy language to emphasis my need. I immediately felt horrible guilt for violating my relationship with God for the sake of anyone.

The temptation to our wrath will come, but God has freely given us the grace (power) to resist giving into these temptations. When we stumble despite his provisions, he is there with his grace to forgive (1 John1:9).