Friday, August 22, 2014

Dealing with Harmful People

It is extremely difficult not to be malicious when someone is repeatedly attempting to destroy us.  Anger is a secondary emotion, meaning there are primary emotions that cause anger.  One of them is hurt; another is fear.  These are like identical twins rarely seen apart from one another.  

When we are hurt, we fear further harm.  If harm continually arises from the same source, we naturally become defensive or offensive.  Either one usually results in lashing out toward our enemy.  It is then our words and actions may become malicious. That is what Peter tells us to avoid (1 Peter 2:15).  But if it is a natural response, how can we avoid it?

I know I cannot avoid it with self determination.  But as I continue to pray and ask God to change my heart toward the evil men or women, God begins to work in unseen ways to change my emotions until I am able to confront the evil with a pure heart.

NOTE: This does not mean I pretend their motives are good or that I am not in danger.