Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Went Her Way

Jesus told Martha that her brother would rise again. She was too angry to contemplate his words. She could only respond, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day” (John 11:24). She must have been thinking, “I don’t know why you are telling me this now. The last day is a long way off and I am hurting now,” so she brushed him off.

Jesus again attempted to reach past her anger. “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in meet shall never die. Do you believe this”? (John 11:25-26).

Martha was finished with what she thought was a pointless discussion. “Yes Lord I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.’ Then she turned and “went her way” (John 11:27).

When we find ourselves in pain, let’s not flippantly answer the questions burning in our hearts. Let’s ponder and wait to see what God will do.