Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Standing Firm

The Jews surrounded Jesus while he was taking a walk on Solomon’s porch. “How long do you kep us in doubt If you are he Christ, tell us plainly” (John 10:24).

I’m not sure how much more plainly Jesus could say it. “Before Abraham was, I am” (John 8:58). “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst” (John 6:35). “My doctrine is not mine, but his who sent me” (John 7:16). “For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father” (John 5:22-23). “I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8:12).

If someone does not want to believe, no amount of miracles, words or works will convince him. Therefore Jesus gave them the following answer to their question.

“I told you and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me. But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep, as I said to you “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me” (John 10;25-27).

Jesus set his limits and did not conform to their demand for more proof. There comes a time when we need to stop convincing and simply stand firm.