Monday, October 20, 2014

The Cashier

It is surprising how many opportunities there are to show sympathy every day.  I was in line at the neighborhood general store. The clerk was talking with a friend and her mother that she evidently had not seen for a very long time. I thought she was very rude to ignore me, while I “patiently” waited for her to finish her conversation.  I thought, “That girl needs more training’.

It was not until I paid attention to the conversation that I realized the cashier had just lost a life time friend because of her own brother’s poor behavior to her girlfriend.  The friend had not communicated with  the cashier since the break up with the cashier’s boyfriend.


Sure, she shouldn’t have been talking so long, but life interferes with rules sometimes.  I could show compassion by simply being kind and not making her feel worse than she already did.  Thankfully, this particular time, the Lord dealt with my attitude before the cashier finished saying her good-byes (1 Peter 3:8).