Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Looking Good

Last Thursday, I was dressed in grey slacks, a rusty brown top and black belt.  I had brown shoes, a grey and brown purse and a scarf that had shads of grey and rusty brown.  I felt confident that I was dressed attractively. 

The morning was going well until I went to do a business transaction and that business’s personnel refused to allow me to finish the business I had come into transact.  They required something I thought was ridiculous.  The woman did not explain why this item was required and it seemed so outrageous to me and was interfering with what my accomplishing what I considered important and timely.  I used sarcasm as I went out the front door.  

I went back an hour later and apologized to the staff person for my poor behavior.  I tell you this embarrassing story to illustrate what Peter is telling us when he writes, “Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price” (1 Peter 3:3-4).

My nice apparel did not hide my bad behavior.