Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Reckless Driving

"Wives be submissive to your own husbands" (1 Peter 3:1).

When I was in my 20s, I was married to a man who had a habit of not looking at the road while driving.  Back then we were being taught that wives were to submit to their husbands without any regard to the outcome.  The idea was that God would teach the husband what he needed  to know.

We were driving down a boulevard and because he was looking at me, he did not see a parked car in front of us.  Because of the teaching at the time, I actually thought about not saying anything to him and letting us hit the parked car at 50 miles an hour.  One or both of us could have been killed.  I decided submission in this case meant I would give him the warning.  He swerved and we missed a horrible accident.

Submission means we submit to our husbands all we have to offer, our wisdom, our insight, our thoughts, our talents, our abilities, our understandings, our warnings all that God has given us to bless our partner.  Silence is not always submission.