Thursday, June 19, 2014

Lost or Stolen

My grandmother was coming to visit my house for the very first time. We had a piece of plywood across a folding table that served as a dining room table.  I was embarrassed to have her see that, so we bought a new table and chairs.  That table now has a black stain on one end, scratches and bald spots on the other, and there is wood glue seeping out of the legs of the chairs where we tried to keep them together

Years ago I had bought a peridot ring to wear on my little finger.  I liked the black design on the sides of the ring that made it look antique.  When my ring needed repair, a loving relative told me about a good jeweler.  As a surprise to me, she secretly paid for a more expensive stone to replace the cheaper one I had purchased.  But the new stone changed the entire look of the ring and the black design had been removed.  I eventually lost the ring when i took off my winter gloves.  I never saw it again.


We all experience losses, but the greatest losses in this life are the death of someone we love, the death of a marriage, or the loss of health.  When our hearts are breaking, we long for stability, something that lasts forever.  If we have put our trust in Jesus, we have an inheritance waiting for us that will never fade way, be lost, stolen or become corrupted (1 Peter 1: 4).