Monday, March 17, 2014

Fighting, Running, Faithful

When Paul was in prison earlier, he had written to the saints at Philippi, "I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ" and "I trust I will see you shortly" (Philippians 1:12-13,19, 24).  But evidently Paul had been told by the Holy Spirit that this time his death was imminent.  He writes to Timothy, "the time of my departure is at hand" (2 Timothy 2:6).

He looks back over his life as a believer, "I have fought the good fight.  I have finished the race.  I have kept the faith" (2 Timothy 4:7).  What did Jesus tell us about living here?  "These things I have told you that you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation: but rejoice, for I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

Yes, some days we are much more aware of the fight. We feel the competition for our loyalties.  Our faith feels weak.    In those seasons, we are wise to cling to God's Word and rely completely on his ability to sustain us.  Then act accordingly. In the end we too will receive a crown of righteousness" (2 Timothy 4:8).