Monday, September 16, 2013

Can't Get More Personal Than That!

Paul writes, "God our Savior; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:4). To the Romans he writes, "it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes." (Romans 1:16). Peter wrote that God is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9). Jesus said, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

Some think of this offer equivalent to an invitation for the general public to attend an event placed in a newspaper. If you happen to read it and decide to go, you will be glad you did. They think an invitation of Salvation by God to everyone must by definition not be personal, as though they did not receive a personal invitation, but happened to decide to join the group who will make it to heaven.

But God's invitation to you is specific. Think about these words if Jesus, " No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:" (John 6:44), and "... they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me" (John 6:45) and "Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father" (John 6:65). Jesus speaking of himself as the good shepherd says, "he calls his own sheep by name, and leads them out" (John 10:3) and again "I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father;" (John 10:14).

No, God's invitation to you is very personal. He called you specifically, by your name.