Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sleepless Night

I had a sleepless night last night. I have been visiting a friend out of state and woke up to the base beating of music from next door. It was not that their music was blaring. I am sure they believed it to be sufficiently turned down as to not disturb the neighbors. But I am sensitive to noise when sleeping.

I had not brought ear plugs, so I tried to make some out of toilet paper. That does not work. Then I tried a combination of toilet paper and ear phones from my smart phone. The ear phones would not stay in place because of the toilet paper. It would not have mattered if they did because the sound seeped through the tissue, ear phones and my pillow anyway. I finally got up and crept down the stairs to my friend's basement. I threw some blankets together and lie down on the couch. The white noise from the air filter blocked out the music from next door. However now I was fully awake.

As I lie there praying and quoting scripture, I realized the undertone of music that disrupted my sleep was like the underlying drum of unbelief that quietly attacks our spiritual life. Without recognizing the subtle deception of worry and self focus, the drum, drum, drum of Satan's attack keeps us from resting in Jesus.

Today, I will make it my focus to rest in his love and power to control my life.