Thursday, October 4, 2012

Public Displays of Self Deception

We are experts at deceiving ourselves. Every morning I say to myself, "I am going to eat healthy today. When I get home tonight, I will not eat after six PM so that I can loose wait." 8 PM finds me in the kitchen either making toast, peanut butter and jelly sandwich or ( my favorite) eating a piece of chocolate. I am telling myself, this one time won't make a difference. For thirty years I have been intending to lose 15 to 20 pounds. But my self deception keeps getting in my way.

We have all seen the man or woman who goes to the store in pajama bottoms and slippers. Some women wear tight fitting polyester pants that show not only their panty line but every roll of skin. Some men wear pants below their bottoms. They have to walk awkwardly to keep them from falling to their feet.

Like the public display of physical imperfections, our lives display our spiritual depravity when we read the Bible but do not practice what we read (James 1:26-27).