Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kick Them Out

I grew up in a pastor's home. The churches tended to be small congregations in remote towns of Northern California. Life was often interesting as a daughter of a minister, but one incident particularly sticks out in my mind.

The deacons in the church called a special meeting to make a demand of m dad. In their opinion there were too many of a particular ethnic group in our church. They wanted my father to tell these people to not come back. I cannot tell you how shocked I was at these professed men of God, or how proud I was of my father when he said to them, "Then here is my resignation".

Scripture tells us that Christ has made one people and one flock out of many nations. Salvation is not for one ethnic group, nor are his people to be seclusive from one another (Ephesians 2:14-18; John 10:16). If God decides where people of nations live, why do we think he has not sent a people from a different culture to live among us? James makes it clear we are not to reject a people (James 3:9; Acts 17:24-26).