Monday, March 19, 2012

Where Are You going?

Jesus told the disciples, “…where I go you know and the way you know” (John 14:4). Thomas was puzzled. “Lord, we do not know where you are going and how can we know the way?”

As far as they knew he was telling them he was going on a trip. It would be like your spouse telling you, “Hey, I’m going to be gone for a while, you can come later and be with me.” The only problem is he or she is not telling you the destination.

Jesus still does not answer Thomas’ question directly. Instead he simply states, “I am the way the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). Those words are so familiar to us that we sometimes skim over them, only using them when we want to make a point in a religious argument. But to the disciples this was still a mystery.

None of us truly understand what God says except the Holy Spirit reveals it to us (John 14:26).