Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Lost Earring

In Colossians 2:5 it says we have died with Christ. In chapter 3:1 it says we have been raised with Christ. Just as one day we will change bodies, (1 Corinthians 15:35-45), so we have currently exchanged spirits (2 Peter 1:4; 2 Corinthians 5:17). We are no longer to live according to human passions but according to heavenly perfection.

Like Jesus, the Holy Spirit admonishes us to seek those things which are above (Colossians 3:1; Mathew 6:33). How do you seek something? You look everywhere. If I lose an earring, I first glance around the floor to see if I can spy it. If I don’t I get on my hands and knees and look under the bed, the dresser and run my hands over the carpet to see if I can feel anything. Depending on how valuable it is to me, I will resort to getting a flashlight in hopes the light will reflect off the metal. If it is of particularly sentimental value, I will pray that God will help me find it.

If I do that for a temporal object, should I put less time and effort into searching for the eternal?