Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hot Coffee

Snow covered the ground and ice glistened off the branches and trunks of the trees. It was a gloriously beautiful morning and I was late for work. My purse hung over my right shoulder, my lunch box hanging over the left, one hand holding a bowl of fruit and cottage cheese, the other a mug of hot coffee, I pulled the front door closed behind me with my left foot.

I struggled for a few seconds to balance the coffee and bowl, so I could unlock the car but it wasn’t working. Without thinking it through I set the mug of coffee on the icy roof of the car. In a split second it was on the ground. That is what Colossians 3:2 means when it instructs us not to set our minds on things of the earth. It is a slippery slop.

Instead, set your mind on things of heaven where Christ is. With our attention focused on Christ, the temptations of earth slip away and the solid foundation of God’s spirit holds us up (Colossians 3:1-2).