Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Toothache Gospel

O.K., I am going through a dark time.  I see no hope of things turning around.  I am not sure how I got here or if I will ever get out.  So…how does this bring good into my life and how in the world will God ever receive glory from this?

Sound or feel familiar?

Peter says we suffer now, so that we will rejoice later (1 Peter 4:13).  True believers are not necessarily happy all the time.  The writer of Hebrews says God’s discipline is painful.  Peter described the Christian’s response to trials as suffering.  I don’t know about you, but a tooth ache does not make me happy, and some trials are nagging situations that remind me of toothaches.

Still…Peter says When Christ is revealed, we who remained faithful will be exuberant (1 Peter 4:14). He may be revealed to you and others near you through your trial now, in real life…or Christ will be revealed in heaven after our physical death.  When Christ is revealed all the missing puzzle pieces suddenly fit together and we will be filled with joy. It’s just a matter of waiting.