Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Excess

Peter writes against the “excess of wine, revellings, and banquetings” (1 Peter 4:3).  He s not being a stick in the mud, not wanting people to enjoy life.  He is warning against excess. 

When people are hurting and they do not know how to handle the pain, they often fill their lives with excesses.  It might be shopping, charging things on credit cards, gambling, going to parties, social events, hanging out with friends to the detriment of both their own character and or responsibilities.  They are running from quiet.  The silence is deafening for them because there is nothing to cover up the emotional pain.  They are afraid if they allow themselves to feel it, they will either not stop crying or die.

God offers us peace in our pain.  He invites us, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” ( Mt 11:28-29).  He tells us, “For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength:and ye would not”. ( Isaiah 30:15).