Monday, July 28, 2014

Through the Looking Glass

As a pastor’s daughter, i was taught to always think how my actions affected others.  The lesson was that people tend to scrutinize preachers’ kids.  Both teachings are true. However I became so aware of being an example and not harming anyone, that I allowed people’s opinions of me to define who I was.

This is a serious danger.  We unwittingly are looking to people for affirmation.  We want them to tell us what to do.  A problem with looking to others is that no one can please everyone they know.  People are simply too versified and their opinions on one subject are as varied as the number of people within your defined circle.  


If you try to please everyone, you will fail.  But if you try to please God and rest in his love, you can live in  peace (1 Peter 2:3; Hebrews 12:1-3; Isaiah 26:6; 2 Corinthians 2:11; Philippians 4:6).