Monday, February 10, 2014

Put in Chains for the Truth

Remembering Jesus' resurrection reminds us that there is life after death.   The apostles and Timothy were preaching the truth in the face of real physical death.  Timothy needed that reminder of the resurrection to maintain his spiritual strength (2 Timothy 2:8).

Paul was put in chains for preaching the truth (2 Timothy 2:9).  People who do not practice the truth hate the truth and will persecute anyone who confronts them with it (John 3:19-20; 2 Timothy 2:9).

Jesus said to his disciples as he was preparing to go to the cross, "Peace I leave with you.  My peace I give to you.  Do not allow your heart to be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:27).  "I have spoken these things to you, that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

Sometimes it is more difficult than others to remain in his peace. But the old proverb holds true, "Practice makes perfect."