Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Paris France

I visited Paris several years ago. I traveled with my daughter and my son who knows French. I saw the Louvre with its magnificent paintings. I made it to the third tier of the Eiffel tower before I chickened out and got off the elevator. I saw the shops, ate in the restaurants, and walked along the Seine river. It was beautiful.

But at no time did I think I was French. I knew I was visiting a place that was not my home.

Jesus emphasized in his prayer to the Father that neither he nor we are of this world ( John 17:14, 16). We see the museums, speak some of the language, visit the shops and interact with the people, but we do not belong here. We are citizens of heaven where we will live out eternity.

That knowledge should govern our behavior and our desires.