Friday, April 13, 2012

Servants

Jesus said to his disciples, "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from my father I have made known to you (John 15:14).

When the disciples first met Jesus, they were like servants. They had no idea what he was doing. Their thoughts were full of misconceptions and misunderstandings. With continual teachings and illustrations, the truth became clearer, but they did not want to face Christ's impending death. So we get Peter telling Jesus that he will not be crucified .(Mark 8:31-33).

Now it is slowly dawning on them that death is coming. They have been stunned to silence. But Jesus is comforting them that what they will soon suffer is not the end of the story. They will experience tears, fears and anxiety, but unending joy will soon follow.