Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Love Letters

Before my husband and I were married, we lived in different states. We wrote love letters to each other and spoke for hours on the phone. When I received a letter from him, I did not casually open the letter, read a line or two then toss it on the counter to read whenever I got around to it. I did not leave it in a stack of junk mail where I might accidentally throw it away.

I cherished every word, reading every letter more than once. I sometimes would not open a letter immediately, but would savor the anticipation of what he would say to me. Then making time to be alone, I would lovingly open the letter, aware that my fingers were touching the same paper he had touched. I loved him; still do.

Is that the level of emotion we hold for Jesus' words? If not, perhaps we have not yet understood deeply enough his love for us (John 14:24).