Friday, February 10, 2012

Valuing Self Judgement

When I was a young girl I heard that Jesus’ sacrifice saved us from the wrath of God. Though this statement is true, I misunderstood. I thought it meant God the Father was angry and mean to people who had not yet accepted Christ. I thought of God as angry and Jesus as loving.

I did not understand that who Jesus is exactly as God the Father. If the Father is angry at sin, so is the Son. If they Jesus loves us, so does the Father. If Jesus wanted to save us, so did the Father.

God’s wrath is only against those who abuse his Son. Jesus took our sins upon himself, willingly suffering for us so that we could become one with him and his Father (John 17:20-23). When we refuse to accept Jesus’ forgiveness, we are valuing our judgment over God’s grace. We are worshiping ourselves and saying Jesus died for no purpose. Is it any wonder the Father would be angry?