Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Peter Keeps Trying

Peter was shocked that Jesus wanted to wash his feet. Jesus told Peter, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this (John 13:7). When Jesus told Peter if he did not allow Jesus to wash his feet that he would have no part of him, Peter quickly changed his mind. “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!” (John 13:9).

Jesus knew Peter was enthusiastic but clueless. So he addressed Peter where he was, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, and is completely clean…” But he again connected the physical world to the spiritual when he said “and you are clean but not all of you” (John 13:9-10). He was speaking of Judas who would betray him.

Forgive my presumption as I put it in modern vernacular. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it isn’t necessarily a duck. It might be a costume.