Friday, January 27, 2012

Lift Jesus Higher

Sometimes we sing songs that make no doctrinal sense. There was on old Chorus that said, “Lift Jesus higher, lift Jesus higher. Lift him up for the world to see. He said if I be lifted up from the earth, I will draw all men unto me.” You would think by the words of this song that we should talk about Jesus more often and as we exalt his name in our conversations that he will draw all men to him.

This chorus is based on John 12:32. But Jesus is not speaking about conversations among people when he says, “If I am lifted up from the earth I will draw all men unto me.” He is talking about his crucifixion. So if the song were taken literally, we would be chanting, “Lift that cross with Jesus on it, higher up on that hill. Make the pole higher!” (John 12:33)

It is important that we take the time to know what scripture actually teaches. To neglect the accurate study of God’s word leads to either confusing people or chasing people away from knowing the truth. Neither option is pleasing to God.