Monday, January 23, 2012

Divine Imitating

Shortly before Jesus was to go to the cross he told his disciples, “If anyone serves me, let him follow me: and where I am, there my servant will be also” (John 12:26).

We know he was not referring to his physical body, because that was about to be crucified. His disciples would not all be on the cross with him or in the grave with him. So what did he mean?

First, we follow Jesus by living according to his teaching. Secondly, when we notice God is doing something in a particular situation, we join in. If we do not see God working, we step back and become very cautious. It is much like what Jesus told the Pharisees early on in his ministry. “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of himself, but what he sees the Father do…the Son also does in like manner” (John 5:19).