Monday, October 3, 2011

A Witness

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

The Pharisees did not pay attention to the message Jesus had given them. They zeroed in on the fact that he was speaking of himself. You can hear the sarcasm in their voices. “You bear witness of yourself; your witness is not true.”

They are referring to Jesus’ words after he had healed the lame man by the pool of Bethesda. “If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true” (John 5:31). But once again they were applying Jesus’ words out of context. Jesus had gone on to say, “…But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given me to finish, the very works that I do, bear witness of the, that the Father has sent me. And the Father himself, who sent me, has testified of me” (John 5:36-37). In other words he had far more than his own witness to prove he was the Son of God.

If people took Jesus’ words out of context in an attempt to entrap him, do not be surprised if it happens to you as well.