Monday, October 10, 2011

Lifting up the Son of Man

Jesus told the people, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father taught me, I speak these things” (John 8:26).

The term Son of Man comes from the Old Testament. It was part of the prophecy of the Messiah. The people also knew what it meant when someone was “lifted up”. It was a euphemism for being crucified (John 12:34). If they did not know he was the Son of Man when they saw the miracles, what would happen at the crucifixion that would make them believe?

At the moment Jesus gave up his spirit there was a huge earthquake. Rocks and mountains were split. The temple shook at the vale between the Sanctuary and the Holy of Holies was split. The most amazing thing was the opening of graves and that some of the people who were buried came to life (Mathew 27:48-54). It was enough to make one of the Roman Centurions believe (Mt 27:54).

It is an amazing thing. When our lives are in danger we find it much easier to believe in God. We believe because we want him to rescue us. How much better it is to get to know him before tragedy strikes.