Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I AM

The Jewish leaders had the same reaction as we did to Jesus’ promise that those who kept his word would not see death. Everybody dies. Even the most righteous people like Abraham and the prophets died. None of it made sense. Then Jesus takes it a step further, “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day, and he saw it and was glad” (John 8:56).

The Pharisees were infuriated. “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus could have explained, “Abraham is in heaven. He saw me leave heaven to come to earth and knew why I came. He was glad because I am bringing the good news of God’s forgiveness and mercy.” Instead Jesus infuriated them further by using the name of God to describe himself.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM” (John 8:58). Jesus always existed and will always exist. Before coming in the form of man he was known as the Word (John 1:1-3). At his birth he took on the name Son of God, and Jesus (Luke 1:31, 35). He was God, is God and will always be God (Hebrews 1:8; Revelation 1:8, 17-18; 22:12, 16).