Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Warning

"The flesh profits nothing" (John 6:63). Some may interpret these words to mean it does not matter what we do with our lives. As long as we accepted Jesus' sacrifice for our sins, we are home free. "God would never throw one of his kids into hell," some said to me.

But Jesus gave a powerful warning, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word; and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me does not keep my words" (John14:23-24).

John wrote later, "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth" (1 John 1:6). "Now by this we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He who says, I know him and does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him" (1 John 1:4).

When we respond to Christ's call, he changes us.