Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fear of Denying Christ

One of the fearful passages in the Bible is found in Mathew 26:31-35. All the disciples vowed to Jesus that they would die for him. Yet before the morning had come they had all fled for their lives. If you are like me, your heart jumps to your throat when you read the story. Invariably I wonder, will I also deny him when my life is at stake?

If that is your fear, let me share with you a couple of things that may encourage you. 1) Everyone of the disciples later did die for Christ and did not deny him. 2) The strength to die for Christ comes from God. When they intended to remain faithful, they were trying to do it with their own strength. After the cross they had the power of God to sustain them. 3) Jesus and the Holy Spirit are interceding for us as well as he did for them (Luke 22:31; Romans 8:26-27, 34; Hebrews 7:24-25).

Be confident in Christ’s work in you. He is able to make you stand (Romans 14:4; 16:25; Heb 2:18; Jude 1:24)