Monday, March 14, 2011

Dispising Shame

Jesus had two separate reactions when facing the cross. When talking with his disciples he said, “Now is my soul troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father save me from this hour? But for this purpose I came to this hour” (John 12:27). Then in the garden he did just that he pleaded with is Father to be delivered. “O My Father, if it is possible, let his cup pass from me” (Mathew 26:39). He struggled between the pain he was going to experience in his flesh and doing what was necessary to save us. But in his struggle he never wavered from wanting to do God’s will. “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from me unless I drink it, your will be done” (Mt 26:40).

The writer of Hebrews admonishes us to look at Jesus “the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame…” (Hebrews 12:2). When we face difficult situations we are wise to turn to Jesus. He gave us faith in the first place and he will sustain our faith. It is natural that we despise being looked down on. Jesus despised the shame he bore also. But he focused on the joy that would be produced from the cross. So can we focus on the joy that God will bring about through the difficult thing we face.