Monday, December 20, 2010

Asking for the Right Thing

Jesus had just finished telling his disciples that he was going to be crucified. While they were still in shock the twin’s (James and John) mother approached Jesus and asked that her sons might sit on each side of his thrown in his kingdom. The disciples w eredumbfounded (Mt 20:24). But Jesus remained calm because he knew the hearts of those who followed him (John 6:71).

“You do not know what you ask,” he said (Mt 20:23). You will indeed drink my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with; but to sit on my right hand and on my left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared by My Father”

Because the disciples did not understand the nature of God’s kingdom at that time, they asked for the wrong thing. Scripture tells us that God will separate those who are true followers of him from those who are not. The righteous will be on his right and the unrighteous on his left (Mt 25:33). I am sure James and John are extremely grateful Jesus did not grant their request.

Only God knows all things. That is why we are wise to always preface our requests with “If God is willing” (James 4:13-16).