Monday, July 12, 2010

Loving Our Family

In America, we love to talk about God’s love, mercy and forgiveness. This is good, because it is the message of the gospel. But Jesus also taught things that are extremely difficult to accept. He not only taught of his father’s love for us, he taught that following him would cost everything.

Not only are our physical lives at stake but also our relationships with our families. “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father; a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother –in –law; and a man’s enemies will be those of his own household” (Mathew 10:34-36).

People who come to the Lord in a Muslim or Hindu nation are rejected by their families. Sometimes their very lives are threatened. In America we are not willing to have our families angry with us, even if our lives are not in danger. Because of this many of us compromise what is clearly taught against in scripture to pacify family relationships.

To those of us who cower in fear, Jesus said, “He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me. And he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me” (Mathew 10:34-38).

Don’t be afraid to stand for what is right though your decision causes division in your family. God is fully aware that you cannot do this on your own. He will give you the grace you need at the moment you need it.