Thursday, July 22, 2010

Great Speakers

I enjoy listening to Ravi Zacharias, Charles Swindoll, John Piper and Alistair Begg. My heart is encouraged as they stimulate my thinking. But there are times when I mourn the fact that I am not as intelligent as they are. It feels like I could be so much more affective and reach so many more people if I could think on my feet like they do and reach such profound conclusions.

It is at those times when Jesus’ words are so encouraging when he prays to the Father, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things, from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes” (Mathew 11:25).

Paul wrote, :For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised, God has chosen, the things that are not, that He might nullify the things that are, that no man should boast before God” (1 Cor 1:26-29).

I can relax because God only holds me accountable for what he has given me to do. He has equipped me to do the work he has prepared for me, just as he as equipped them for what he has prepared for them. The outcome is his alone.

So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. (1 Cor 3:7).