Thursday, January 8, 2015

Blinded by Spirituality

Job’s friends are a prime example of virtue, knowledge, faith, self control without brotherly kindness.  

One of Job’s Friends called Eliphaz told Job that he had seen a spirit that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up.  From this dream or vision  Eliphaz concluded that Job had to have done something wrong for all the bad things to have happened in Job’s life, and he urges Job to repent of whatever evil Job has been secretly committing (4:12-21).

Job responds,  “When I say my bed is a comfort to me , my couch shall ease my pain; then you scare me with dreams, and terrify me with visions, so that I rather hang myself than live.  I loathe it!”

Eliphaz thought he had faith, virtue and knowledge, but if he did he was sorely lacking in brotherly kindness to someone who had just lost his entire family and his income.