Thursday, May 2, 2013

Southern Gospel Concert

From fifth grade through eighth grade, we lived in a small town amongst the giant redwood trees. Once a quarter we traveled to Eureka to hear southern gospel quartets. I loved these concerts. As a young girl I fantasied about marrying one of the handsome singers. It thrilled my innocent heart to hear the lead singer at every concert say something like this.

" Hello Humboldt County." (After the applause and yelling hellos settled down from the audience he would continue). "We love coming here because in all the places we travel we love you folks the best." ( As outrageously loud applause erupted, the music began to blare out of the speakers).

Imagine my surprise to hear those exact same words by the same southern gospel band in Sacramento. I was crushed. At the age of fourteen I had just been introduced to Public Relations manipulation.

Paul wrote that he never presented the gospel with flattering words, nor did he change who he was in order to persuade men. He did not believe in manipulation of people but depended on the Holy Spirit to convince people of the gospel ( 1 Thessalonians 2:1-6).