Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother-in-law

When my mother-in-law was near death, we visited her in the hospital. I had been praying many years that she would come to Christ. My sister-in-law met us on the hallway of the hospital just a couple of doors down from my mother-in-law's room.

"I do not want you talking to my mother about God." She said sharply. "This is not the time for that sort of thing."

"She is about to go into eternity and face God." I said. "What more important time is there than now?"

My-sister-in-law was insistent. "If she asks you, o.k. But you are not to bring it up."

As we entered the room to greet my mother-in-law, I began to pray silently. 'Father, give me time alone with Freda, so I can speak to her about you.'

A few seconds passed and my sister-in-law said, "I am going to get a cup of coffee," and she left me alone with her mother. As she left the room, my mother-in-law said to me, "Would you sing Amazing Grace?"

My mother-in-law accepted The Lord that day and was a completely different woman the last months of her life.

Some unbelievers seem to be driven to blocking others from considering Christ (1 Thessalonians 2:16). But God is greater than their efforts.