Monday, September 19, 2011

Jumping to Conclusions

I was recently in Monterey on a business trip. I was privileged to visit Carmel by the Sea, a beautiful tourist attraction with sun-filled streets, lovely display windows and happy shoppers. The village brags the original location of the first Thomas Kinkaid shop tucked away in an alley garden, a perfect location for perfect pictures.

As I sauntered down the sidewalk my companion was surprised that a certain retailer had a shop there, because it was a national chain that was usually found in shopping malls, not in quaint sea-side vacation spots. I replied, “This is probably its place of origin.” I had to laugh at myself. Why did I say that? There was absolutely no indication that such a thing was true. My mind had jumped to an outrageous conclusion because I knew of the Thomas Kinkaid store.

It is our nature to jump to unjustified conclusions. The people surrounding Jesus did the same thing. When individuals said this must be the Christ, others responded, “Will the Christ come from Galilee? Has not the Scripture said that the Christ comes from the seed of David and from the town of Bethlehem, where David was?” So there was a division among the people because of him” (John 7:40-43).

They had the scriptures right, but they did not have accurate information about Jesus. Let’s be careful not to jump to conclusions. They too easily lead us and others away from the Truth.