Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Family Problems

When Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him, they could not get into the house where he was because of the crowd. So they sent word to him that they wanted him to come out to them. Jesus’ response at first appears rude. “But he answered and said to the one who told him, ‘Who is my mother and who are my brothers/” And He stretched out his hand toward his disciples and said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my father in heaven is my bother and sister and mother” (Mathew 12:48-49).

But Mark gives us a little more insight. He writes of the same occasion, “Then the multitude came together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread. But when his own people heard about this, they went out to lay hold of him, for they said, ‘He is out of his mind” (Mark 3:20-21).

If our families are not believers they will most likely see us as unstable. Though we continue to love our family, we realize that we have heavenly brothers and sisters, those who do the will of God (Mathew 12:48-49; Mark 3:35).