Friday, May 14, 2010

Shouting in the Streets

Jesus healing the leper carries another mystery. Why did Jesus instruct the man who he healed not to tell anyone about it? Isn’t healing supposed to bring glory to God? A great multitude was following him when he performed this miracle (Mt 8:1), so the miracle was certainly not a secret.

Jesus’ instructions not to tell others fulfilled two purposes. One was to fulfill prophecy given by Isaiah, “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations. He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets” (Isaiah 42:1-2).

The second demonstrates that his intent is not out to glorify himself. As humans our first order of business is to take credit. “I prayed for so and so and God healed him.” “I have seen many miracles in our services.” Growing up I heard many evangelist make these claims but no miracles happened when they preached in our churches. Jesus didn’t have to brag, he just did the miracles.

His message did not point to himself, but to God.