Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Solitary Moments

We are going to take a short side trip to a cave in Israel where David is hiding because King Saul is hunting him with the intention of killing him. In the cool darkness I am sure memories of the safety of his childhood come rushing back to him. Nights when the heavens were filled with bright stars, when he sat around a small campfire singing praises with his small harp call him to lament days gone by. Memories of warm spring days, sheep feeding on the green hills and cool breezes under a sycamore tree were bitter sweet. Why could life not stay like that? Why did he have to run for his life when he was innocent of any wrong doing toward Saul?

Holy Spirit of God must have brought back to his memory the killing of the bear and the lion. He felt strengthened when he recalled the slaying of Goliath and the miraculous delivery God had given into his hand. He must have been reminded of Samuel pouring oil over his head anointing him as the future king. It was then he sang these words.

“Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by. I will cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purposes for me.” (Psalm 57:1-2).

Fill your mind with the greatness of God and wait for him. He will yet bring you victory (Mathew 6:22-23).