Friday, April 23, 2010

Messy Closets

I confess my closet if full of clothes. Some of them are quite old. Many were given to me. Some I purchased. My problem is I have difficulty discarding the older clothes when I gain new ones. I have a pair of bright pink pants that I really do not care for. I purchased them at a store closing at a 75% off bargain and didn’t want to pass up a great deal. I force myself to wear them so I can tell myself I didn’t waste my money. In fact, I am wearing them today.

What motive is at the core of my clutter? Why do I collect things I can’t use or don’t like? Is it because I am afraid one day I may not have enough? Is it because in my childhood we often had very few possessions? Perhaps Jesus hit the nail on the head when he exhorted me (us) “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; for your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?” (Mathew 6:25).

We horde when we worry about possessions. When we trust, we give away. Worry produces anxiety. Trust in God produces freedom. Perhaps it is time to clean out our closets.