Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Strange University

Even though Job knew God had to be at the core of his suffering, he grieved over his loss. He wanted God to take him home (Job 3:20-22). His mind was in turmoil and rest escaped him (Job 3:26). His only hope of enduring the darkness of his life was to pour out his anguish to God, until God answered him (Job 38-42).

Trouble can overwhelm us so that we despair of life. It is crucial that we remember we do not own our own bodies. They belong to God. Turning away from God will only multiply evil in our lives. Peter tells us it is the “exceedingly great and precious promises” that cause us to partake of his divine nature and help us to escape the “corruption that is in the world through lust” (2 Peter 1:4).

I have often encouraged myself by remembering the promises God made to me. He has made me his child (1 John 2:28). He will take me home to live with him (1 Thessalonians 4:17). He will guide my life (Isaiah 30:21; Proverbs 16:9). He has prepared me to do good works and has prepared good works for me (Ephesians 2:10).

Perhaps it would be helpful for us to stop focusing on what has gone wrong. It is good for us to remember the pain free life does not happen until heaven (Romans 8:24-25; Revelation 21:4). Right now we are in the university of godly character building.